Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Hip Hip Hooray!! (Hip pain during pregnancy)

This last week has been a bit of a rollercoaster. I've suddenly developed bad pains in my hips during the evening when I lay down in bed. And by bad pains I mean stabbing aches in both my hips and no matter what position I lay in. I'm up all night trying to roll over and find a comfy spot but its like the world hates me and wants me to suffer because nothing works. During the day its absolutely fine its literary just when I lay down which is super annoying because I love my sleep! Anyway I mentioned it to my midwife who all she really recommended was sleeping with a pillow between my legs which kind of helps.


Anyway I decided enough was enough last night and I decided to take action. For my birthday back in January my mum bought me this super large 4 foot pregnancy pillow its basically a giant horseshoe pillow that you lay down the middle and its supposed to support everything. Its kind of helpful but difficult to sleep in. So last night I collected every cushion pillow and blanket we had in the house and I made a little nest right in the middle of my bed and good lord did that help support my hips and back. instead of being in pain all night I only woke up about twice in pain which is a massive improvement! So I've put together some bits of information tips and advice on what to do if you experience hip pain during pregnancy.

What is hip pain in pregnancy and what are the causes?

Pain in the hips pelvis and lower back normally develops in the third trimester of pregnancy and is caused by a pregnancy hormone called relaxin. This hormone causes the ligiments in the hips to soften to prepare for labour which results in aches and pains when pressure is applied to the hips.

How can I help reduce the pain in my hips ?

I have had lots of advice from other people who have been through the same thing all telling me similar to the midwife and that's to sleep with a pillow between my legs. whilst this kind of helps it doesn't take the pain completely away. The only real thing that's worked for me is making my nest of cushions and blankets and finding the right position to sleep in.

physiotherapy and a chiropractor

I am not speaking from experience here as I haven't used either of these but I have been recommended by friends to use these. To be honest the cost of going to a chiropractor or physiotherapy is way out of my price range whilst saving for a baby and to be honest ive managed to keep my pain under control a little bit.

Swimming

Swimming is a proven way to help with hip pain because under water you are weightless as you swim this acts as kind of a message on your joints. ( proper annoying because I cancelled my swim membership last week)



I think the most important thing is to not put to much strain on your body and find a sleeping position that works for you.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE. if you have sever pain and are not managing please seek medical advice. Happy sleeping xx


Z




xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Feet

I'm sitting here with a cuppa tea devouring a punnet of grapes trying to think what I can write my next blog post about?! I don't ha...